Have you been running an ecommerce website for months or even years with no substantial traffic from search engines? Or, you are about to start an ecommerce website, and you just wanted to get it right with SEO from the beginning? Then, we’ve written this step-by-step SEO for e-commerce guide for you! Comments from several clients we’ve worked with at MyCity Social in Tampa gave us insight into how distressing it is to run a website with ridiculously low traffic. With an in-depth knowledge of SEO, we hold the reputation as the best Tampa SEO company.
Why A Guide On SEO For Ecommerce Should Matter To You
Consumers act as the lubricant that keeps your business going. To attract new ones, some big companies in the ecommerce industry invest in ads. As a starter, you do not have this budget, but you have a tool, which is by far more powerful than investing in ads. What’s the tool? It is SEO! If you understand how SEO works, you would be surprised at how easy and free organic traffic will stream to your website. A mind-blowing statistic shows that ecommerce websites raked in about $861.12 billion in 2020. How do you get a piece of that pie in the coming years? You have to read the following guide to optimize your website for more sales.
A Step-By-Step Guide On Search Engine Optimization For Ecommerce
Step 1: Keyword Research- To reach out to your consumers, you must begin with a targeted keyword list. These are phrases your potential customers type on search engines when trying to make a purchase. Creating this list of intent-based keywords is the first step to take in your SEO strategy. These keywords are classified into two:
- Long-Tail keywords
- Short-Tail keywords
Long-tail keywords are often longer in characters, usually from 26-40 characters, while short-tail keywords are shorter and often a single word. For instance, “Toy” is a short-tail keyword with a large monthly search volume but will necessarily not convert. However, a long tail keyword like “the best toys for kids” will have a shorter keyword volume but convert more. To find a long or short-tail keyword, these are what you can do:
- Keep your keyword terms around the main seed.
- Select a product name and type in the name into Google or any other SEO tools like Ahrefs or SEMrush to find long-tail words related to that keyword
- Understand the intent of each keyword that centers on your product.
- Categorize keywords as either informational keywords or purchase intent keywords. To build these, you can use Google Autosuggest, Google Related Search suggestion, Ubersuggest, and more.
Step 2: Site Architecture– Your site architecture matters. This is how you organize your website. It is the site that allows you to map out how a user can navigate your site accurately. It should be your goal as a website owner to help a user find key pages and the link between each of the pages they find on your website. To build your site navigation significantly, these are the steps to take:
- Ask questions: This includes the queries consumers use when they get to your website, the pages that have the most traffic, and your website’s top exit pages.
- Decide on Drop-down Menus- If you decide to use navigations, make sure it is written in HTML. That is how search engines can find it. Add links reasonably. The number of links recommended on a page is 100.
- Use Short Tail Keyword- Your short tail keyword will dictate what you will name your category pages. They are recommended to be used in your header, title and must be found within your first 200 words.
- Pay Attention To URL parameters- This is essential if you are using filters.
- Add Breadcrumbs- Your product pages need breadcrumbs. It gives search engines and users the ability to know where your product fits.
Step 3: Technical SEO- This will forever be your marketing strategy if you take SEO as a big deal in your business strategy. They’ve gone beyond meta tags and sitemaps. Most likely, you might have to hire a technical SEO expert to get this done for you. But some of the steps involved are this:
- Implement Schema Markup- With rich schema markup, you will be able to highlight specific information for Google and other search engines. Two types of schema include “product schema markup,” which provides product prices and names. The second one is “review schema markup.” This takes into consideration aggregate ratings and individual reviews.
- Cleaning Up URLs- Having a disorganized URL structure can have a terrible impact on your consumers, especially when you have loads of product categories and pages. To work on that, make your URL short and sweet, incorporate targeted keywords, choose only lower-case, opt for dashes instead of underscores or spaces. If you need further insight, consult the best SEO Company in your region.
- Redirect 404 Pages- Do some cleaning and redirect your dead pages.
- Implement Pagination- Infinite scrolling is a juice to enhance user experience. And that is one of the reasons Google also shifted to infinite scrolling.
- Canonicalize Products- First, figure out if there exists any domain canonicalization problem. You can figure this out by heading to a category page, then take the “www” off the search bar and hit the enter button. If it is, you will find it redirected to the correct version, but if it is not, you will get a different page.
- Internal Links- Internal links can have a powerful effect on a website. It is an aspect you shouldn’t forget as a newbie.
- Create Site Map- This creates a readable format of your e-commerce website for search engines. For example, you can list more than 50,000 pages on your site map.
- Optimize For Mobile- Research shows that more than half of search engine visitors are from mobile traffic. So, mobile optimization isn’t something to joke about. Design yours for mobile and create mobile-friendly images that don’t impact load speed.
- Page Speed- The speed of your website is critical to Google. In fact, with an update on Core Web Vitals coming soon, you can’t afford to miss out on that. It is because they have an impact on user experience. In addition, you might need to upgrade your hosting server, cache your content, and use varying image formats.
Step 4. On-Site SEO- This is more than just a description tag or title tag. There are lots of arguments or opinions here. For example, some think the best on-page SEO is about customer reviews; others insist that it is about how images and product pages look. Still, others believe it’s about the brand that does the best copywriting. Which of these thoughts are correct? Think about these:
- Your URL- It must be unique, keyword-rich, clean, and short.
- Meta Title- Your Meta tile increases or decreases your click-through rate. Be tactful and be intentional about what you put in there. They must always come with actionable words.
- Meta Description- As click-through rate becomes an essential factor in Search Engine Optimization, users must learn how to optimize that well to boost CTR. It will enhance not only your ranking but get you more clicks.
- Body Copy- First impression matters! And you don’t have a second chance to make it. As the best Tampa SEO company, we urge you to believe this truth. So, how do you do it right?
- Get yourself fantastic descriptions for your product.
- Add in your keywords.
Meanwhile, make sure you cover the basics in your content. The more content you can share, the more Google will reckon with your site and place you where you fit. When writing:
- Go beyond keywords
- Think about your buyers.
- Ensure to add critical features and how the product will benefit buyers.
- Avoid keyword stuffing at all costs.
- Use social media share buttons.
There you go! If you use these strategies above, you can compete with big brands and show up in the SERPs without investing on paid ads. And more to it? More traffic, more revenue!
The Role Of An SEO Company
You’ve read a detailed explanation of how you can optimize your ecommerce website for search engines. There is no doubt that you can personally implement 75% of what’s written in this guide. But to avoid frustration in the first few weeks, you need to consult an SEO expert for free consolations. They are ready to give insight on how you can be found on SERPs. Also, when it comes to copywriting that covert, you can never fault the best SEO company. They will do in-depth research on keywords you can rank for and write compelling content that keeps consumers glued and buy from you.
Located in Tampa, MyCity Social is the best Tampa SEO company you can consult for SEO services. With our matchless SEO services, we’ve been able to optimize hundreds of websites on Search Engine. Want free consultations, more insight on SEO for Ecommerce, or get a quote? Contact us now.